The Royal Dublin Fusiliers was an Infantry Regiment within the British Army. It was formed in July 1881 as part of the Cardwell Army Reforms by the amalgamation of the 102nd Regiment of Foot (Royal Madras Fusiliers) and the 103rd Regiment of Foot (Royal Bombay Fusiliers) . The regiment was disbanded with the formation of the Republic of Ireland in 1922.
The 1st Battalion were formed from the Royal Madras Fusiliers and the 2nd Battalion from the Royal Bombay Fusiliers. Both battalions had been transferred from the Honourable East India Company’s European Troops in 1861 as part of the repercussions of the Indian Mutiny in 1857.
Arrived in 1813, but left the following year to attack Massachusetts (now Maine) and take Castine.
1899-1902 Boer War
212 members of the RDF were lost
World War 1
Prior to the outbreak of war, the Royal Dublin Fusiliers comprised two regular battalions as well as three reserve battalions. This had increased to nine by the end of 1914. The 10th Battalion was formed in Dublin towards the end of 1915 and the 11th (Reserve) Battalion again in Dublin in July 1916.
An excellent account of the regiment, especially during WW1, can be found on the Waterford County Museum website.
There is also a site dedicated to the those who served in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. It includes a useful forum for researching soldiers within the RDF.